Alberta Health Care

Registration Services

Services include:

New registration for new comers to Alberta; change of address for your health care; re issue of health care card; additions and deletions (of dependants) on your health care account; and more…..


Please contact us today for more information.

>> Click here for the forms you’ll need for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan

AHCIP registration requirements and eligibility

All eligible residents of Alberta must register themselves and their dependants with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP). If you are a new or returning Alberta resident, you must register for AHCIP coverage to receive insured hospital and physician services.

No eligible Alberta resident with appropriate documentation will be denied coverage.

Eligible residents

An eligible resident of Alberta is a person who is:

  • Legally entitled to be or to remain in Canada and makes his/her permanent home in Alberta;
  • Committed to being physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in a 12 month period;
  • Not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another province, territory or country;
  • Any other person deemed by the regulations to be a resident not including a tourist, transient or visitor to Alberta.
  • When you move to Alberta from another province or country, there may be a waiting period before you become eligible for coverage under the AHCIP.

Non-eligible residents

Non-eligible residents include members of the Canadian Armed Forces, Royal Canadian Mounted Police and federal penitentiary inmates. These residents receive coverage from the Federal Government. Dependants of these non-eligible residents, who reside in Alberta, must be registered with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan.

Babies born in Alberta to a non-resident of Alberta are not considered residents of Alberta and are therefore not eligible for coverage with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan.


Dependents are defined as:

  • Married spouses – must register together
  • Separated spouses – may register together or separately
  • Divorced spouses – must register separately
  • Adult interdependent partners – may register together or separately
  • Single children under the age of 21 and wholly dependent on the parent(s), including adopted children, foster children (if an income tax deduction was claimed) and wards of the court.
  • In cases of separation or divorce, the custodial parent registers the children.
  • In cases of joint custody, children are registered on the account of one or the other parent, but not both, as agreed to by both parents.
  • Single children who are 21 years of age or older and wholly dependent on the parent(s) because of physical or mental disabilities
  • Single children who are under 25 years of age and in full-time attendance at an accredited educational institute

Acceptable documents to use when you register

Shopping cart0
There are no products in the cart!
Continue shopping
Scroll to Top