Marriage Licenses


Before you apply for a marriage licence you should know these facts.


  1. All couples who get married in Alberta must purchase a Marriage Licence. This also applies to visitors getting married here. The Marriage Licence can only be used in Alberta and is only valid for ninety days from the date of purchase. Refunds are not issued for unused or expired licences. 

    (Click here for Price)


  2. Both applicants must provide proper identification. Acceptable types of ID in order of preference are:
    1. birth certificate
    2. citizenship/immigration documents
    3. valid passport
    4. treaty Indian status card
    5. baptism certificate
    6. driver’s licence

  3. The bride and groom must both be eighteen or older.*

  4. The bride and groom must physically visit our office in person and purchase the Marriage Licence.

  5. If either the bride or groom was previously married, proof of divorce or annulment must be given.**

  6. The bride and groom cannot be under the influence of alcohol or drugs. There are no exceptions to this rule.

  7. The bride and groom cannot marry within the lines of consanguinity. There are no exceptions to this rule.

*When the bride and the groom are under the age of 18, parental permission is required. Parental consent is required both from mother and father or the parent with legal custody (proof required). Other circumstances require special consideration and we will be happy to provide details. Under NO circumstances may a male minor, under the age of 16 years, get married in the province of Alberta.

**This must be a Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute.


Federal legislation prohibits people from marrying if they are related lineally or as brother and sister, whether by whole blood, half blood or by adoption.

As a result:

A man may not marry his:

A woman may not marry her: